Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Boudoir Photography





This is my take on a specialized kind of photography. . .

Boudoir photography is giving the gift of fantasy. It's capturing a time when a woman feels her most glamourous, confident self. This is one of those moments that I am so thrilled to be a part of.

It's one thing to stand in front of a photographer and pose, tilt a chin or cast eyes in one direction or other, but this is completely different. First, there has to be trust. . .almost a friendship between photog and client. I feel the photographer has to be invested emotionally in this client because it is an intimate moment. A time when someone has to let her guard down and trust that the best angle, lighting, etc. will be directed by the person in charge. . . that photographer.

I've had the privilege to work with such an artist. Her name is Kim Graham. She is a Charleston photographer who is constantly busy, and for good reason. Kim not only photographs amazing weddings, engagements, and family portraits, but she has a knack for boudoir photography. The main reason I say this is because her clients trust her. She is a kind, unassuming presence. . . gentle and encouraging, yet very much in control. These qualities enable her to put her subjects at ease and really get into the nuances of this sexy, intimate kind of photography. Kim innately knows the best placement of a hand or a downward glance or a prop that can help make a woman look like a celebrity and herself all at once. She is great at determining someone's comfort level and taking her to the edge of it. That's what makes great boudoir photography and keeps clients happy and confident.

What a gift! The ladies whose photos appear above, were both doing sessions for Christmas gifts for their husbands. Imagine that surprise! I am a big fan because it symbolizes them in their prime. It takes some guts to do this; to put yourself out there and say, "here I am. . .remember me like this . . ."

Boudoir photography is private. Often, it's just the photographer and client, to ensure her comfort. From the makeup artist's perspective, this is one of my FAVORITE ways to work. . . the makeup is quite a bit heavier than the client would wear on a daily basis. I usually have carte blanche in my choice of colors and formulations (always airbrush!). But take a look at the lashes . . . I could sing about the LASHES for days! For me, the lashes are key.

If you've ever or never considered boudoir photography, I suggest you think about it. No matter what stage you're at in your life, a little va-va-voom never hurt anything ;)

Thank you, Kim Graham Photography.

Thank you, Beautiful Wives.




No comments:

Post a Comment