Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Featured Photographer: Ashley Brokop





Photography by Ashley Brokop
Makeup by Pamela Lesch

As I think about Ashley Brokop and her photography, one word recurs: moments. She's about them, she catches them, she's in them.

I've worked with Ashley twice, but with someone like her who wears her heart on her sleeve, it feels like I've known her much, much longer. Maybe it's the mommy-factor we have in common; maybe it's the yearning to be here in Chucktown (I live here, and I yearn for it!). But she falls into that inexplicable category of Kindred Spirit.

Ashley's photography has a distinct, photojournalist feel to it. Her military photography background has a unique ambience; when you look at her work and see someone with a wide smile or head tilted back with eyes closed or some other small movement, you just know she immortalized a moment.

One of the first things I noticed about her is that she kneels a lot and gets shots from angles that would never occur to me. I also love that she likes to shoot my makeup and the process of getting a bride ready. There's something of a mess that I make when I'm in the zone and doing my thing . . . brushes, eyeshadows, pencils, all askew. She considers that a moment and clicks away.

The hour or so before a bride puts on her dress are some of the most intimate, closely-knit moments in a woman's life. Usually, only those in her innermost circle are around her, readying her for this occasion. It's one of the things that draws me to the bridal aspect of my line of work. That's a special time, and I get to be a part of it. Ashley's work actually captures those fleeting moments. They are precious, she knows it, and she gets it.

Ashley is based out of Sumter, SC, but she travels extensively. Please check out her website at www.AshleyBrokop.com

Thanks also to lovely bride, Kimberly Mrachek :)



No comments:

Post a Comment