Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Eyes Have It!


"Makeup may not change the world or even your life, but it can be a first step in learning things about yourself you may have never discovered otherwise."

This Kevyn Aucoin quote sums up why he is my favorite makeup artist; it emphasizes that what makes someone truly beautiful is internal. Makeup is a means to enhance the external. Aucoin's bestseller, "Making Faces," is a must-have reference for any makeup fan. The celebrity models are amazing. . .some have been transformed into beauty icons of days-gone-by such as Marlene Dietrich and Marilyn Monroe.

The photo above, of another Georgia native Julia Roberts, is my all-time favorite makeup photo. The directions for this shot are all about the eyes, but I like the lips just as much. The nudeness of her lips draws further attention to her eyes. Because there is so much drama around them, the rest of her face is very much downplayed. Her skin is smooth and flawless, blush is light and apricot. There is a side note that her eyebrows were bleached in order to soften the overall affect of the face.

What's most endearing about this book to me, is there's enough how-to guidance to help us achieve any of the looks he's crafted. The photos are full-page so you have a great reference to try to copy. Kevyn has endorsed no particular line of cosmetics, but gives great descriptives of colors and tones to help us recreate these looks. Therefore, the reader could go into any Wal-Mart, Target, or CVS and purchase the products based on his descriptions and the wearer's tastes.

There are a few tools he uses that I'm not particularly fond of, such as sponge-tip applicators. But this is my bias which goes back to my early makeup days when I didn't throw anything away and the true colors of eyeshadows were lost because of the cakey build-up on the sponge-tips. Where he recommends sponge-tip applicators, I'd simply use my trusty MAC #219 ("pencil") brush.

The subtle trick behind pulling off this look is BLENDING; no harsh lines and a concentration of color on the outer corners of the eyes. . . and then going back and blending more. Although this is not an everyday look (at least not for me), it's one I reference often for going-out or date nights or a special evening occasion.

Julia Roberts, photographed by Peter Lindbergh.



No comments:

Post a Comment