Thursday, April 1, 2010

"Hair-Friendly"


First of all, let me state for the record, that I am no Hair Stylist. But, let me also say that I am "hair-friendly."

The more photo shoots I work, the more I realize how handy it is to incorporate a few other skills. . . this is where my hair-friendliness comes into play. I've held lighting equipment for photographers, clamped clothing for stylists, and the list goes on. I think it comes down to being willing to jump in and help wherever needed; being a part of a team.

Make no mistake: my passion and talents lie in makeup artistry. But back in the day, I can remember my sisters, father, mother, and grandmothers lining up for haircuts, styles, and Toni perms. I don't know why they thought at 12 or 13 years old, I could do it, but they had confidence in me, so I did it. And those Toni perms (on my grandmother) lasted. . . somehow, I even made sure the hair ends were covered with those little papers and neatly wrapped around the rods. No frizz on my watch!

Anyway, this role came back to me last week at a photo shoot. Thank goodness for a comb, hurricane-proof hairspray, and bobby pins.

Like I said, make no mistake: I am hair-friendly, but by no means a hair stylist. THAT is an art form in itself, and my hat's off to those wonderful stylists who make hair gorgeous every day.

All photos courtesy of Michel Berda; shot on location in Belle Couture Bridal Salon (Thanks, Sarah & Kelly). Stay tuned for a forthcoming blog about that glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment