Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Let There Be (Wireless) Light.

And if a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up. Richard Avedon.

And so it began: the PPSC, Professional Photographers of South Carolina, workshop on Wireless Lighting, hosted by CVI Photography in downtown Summerville, and curated by Chris Smith of Chris & Cami Photography. For someone who "failed speech class," I'd give him an A+ on his communication and presentation skills to a packed room of professional photogs.

Chris and I have worked on a couple of bridal assignments and one of the standout qualities of his work is lighting. Well, just as location is everything in real estate, lighting is everything in photography. After listening to Chris get rolling on his presentation, I realized I was witnessing something great: to borrow from Seinfeld, a true "master of his domain." Ambient, ISO, shutter, flash, natural. . .were just a few of the more technical terms floating in the air. I attended this workshop in my capacity as makeup artist, but stayed on because lighting is such an important factor in what I do.

One of the first slides was the presentation of the Richard Avedon quote above. It hit me like a ton of bricks for a couple of reasons. First, it's evident that Chris lives by this credo. He does something related to photography every day. It may be a snapshot of a beautiful Lowcountry sunrise with his iPhone, or it may be a photo shoot, or it could be staying current with the myriad technical aspects of photography. But Chris does something related to this passion of his every single day. Secondly, it struck me because with this philosophy, you can supplant "photography" with any profession (i.e. "makeup artistry":) and it holds true for most any vocation that one is passionate about. That was a reaffirmation of how I feel about what I do. I strive to do something related to makeup every day, and if I don't, I feel like something is missing. I found that to be great food for thought.

Some observations: Chris and his wife, Cami (whom he endearingly credits any success) are well-known and respected professionals; they are a true team. He is an animal-lover as evidenced by the "fee" to attend this workshop: a donation of dog or cat food to the Charleston Animal Society. Despite the references to the speech class, Chris is a wonderful communicator. He is an accommodating individual who listens and directs and makes an effort to get to know his clients, subjects, and peers.

The photos that appear are courtesy of Chris & Cami Photography. Makeup by Pamela Lesch @ MakeupArtistCharleston. Look closely at his use of lighting, whether natural or Chris-made. I find it fascinating.

For further wireless lighting and workshop info, please check out Chris's website and new blog.


Thank you, Chris. The PPSC is fortunate to have you in its ranks.








No comments:

Post a Comment