Monday, May 24, 2010

The Makeup Show NYC, May 16 & 17


Monique Boyer, Director of Artist Relations for MAC Cosmetics

Just one of many body painting demos by MAC


Make Up For Ever display


Wow, how time flies when you're having fun . . . such a cliche, but sooo true. It's been nearly two weeks since I've blogged. A lot has been going on, though: trial runs, weddings, photo shoots, and a long weekend in one of my favorite places in this world: New York City.

For those of you waiting with baited breath about my part two of "Brows. . ." well, I hate to disappoint, so I'll pick that subject up again in the next few days ;) And rather than inundate you with a long diatribe about how PHENOMENAL my New York/Makeup Show weekend was, I'll just hit the highlights for now. There will be blogs forthcoming about all the amazing lines that were represented. Suffice it to say, I had to buy two new bags (in addition to the one I checked at the airport) to transport all my goodies back safely.

One of the aspects of my job that I love so very much is continuing education. The Makeup Show is a bi-coastal event, taking place in Los Angeles in the winter, and NYC in the spring. Scores of cosmetics lines are represented, and everyone comes showing their best wares, newest techniques, upcoming trends, and Lots and LOTS of product for sale. For a makeup junkie such as myself, it's the closest thing to nirvana that I'll come to, other than actually doing my job. . . making people look good. I am a better makeup artist for having attended this function.

I'll talk specifics later on, but I did want to comment on some of the photos I've included. One of the highlights of my visit was meeting Monique Boyer who is the Director of Artist Relations for MAC Cosmetics. What an impressive lady she is. MAC was well-represented with a large booth focusing mainly on their Pro line and elaborate demonstrations of body painting.

Make Up For Ever and Smashbox were other hugely popular brands as evidenced by the 2+ hours I waited in these lines just to purchase these products. . . TOTALLY worth the wait because I had the opportunity to speak with makeup artists from all over the country, as well as press/media, beauty editors and bloggers who cover events such as this. Just to hear what other MUAs like, and their tricks, and savvy. . . that was an education in itself.

So, once again, my heart is full and feeling blessed for being able to take part in this phenomenal trade show.

Thanks to my husband for going with; my in-laws Jeb and Sandy for holding down the fort with my kiddos so we could make this trip; and the New York Yankees for providing my husband much joy with a 9th inning win over the Boston Red Sox!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment